Automatic email forwarding
You can forward emails from your Mailtrap inbox to real email addresses. It allows you to:
- View emails in real inboxes, different email clients, or even other apps
- Notify your colleagues or clients about the email testing progress
- Use Mailtrap as a proxy between your application and your email client - never miss a thing from your QA environment
Email forwarding is available starting from the Individual plan. You can set automatic forwarding to confirmed email addresses or domains.
How to set automatic forwarding to an email address
To set auto-forwarding to email addresses, go to the Auto Forward tab in your Mailtrap inbox and enter the forwarding email address(es).
The email confirmation will be sent to this email address(es) for verification. Once the address is confirmed by its owner, you can add this address to the "To" or "Cc" headers of your email messages, and they will be automatically forwarded.
In the Auto Forward tab, you will also find the list of email addresses for forwarding and their statuses:
- active means that its owner has confirmed that they agree to receive emails, and you can use this address for forwarding.
- pending means that the owner hasn't confirmed that they agree to receive emails from Mailtrap.
To resend the confirmation or remove a forwarding rule, use the action buttons in the three-dots menu next to the selected email address.
How to set automatic forwarding to a domain
To set auto-forwarding to a domain, you need to add a TXT record for site verification as follows:
- Enter your domain in the Domain field and click the Add domain button.
- In the displayed table you will find the record and its value generated by Mailtrap.
- Go to your domain settings page, select Manage DNS, and choose TXT from the list of options (for details, consult your domain provider documentation).
- Copy the authentication key generated by Mailtrap from the Value column and paste it to your TXT record.
- Once completed, get back to Mailtrap and click the Verify button for this domain. The status should change to Active. The system will forward messages to any email address which matches "*@domain" in the "To" or "Cc" email headers.
To remove a forward rule, use the action buttons in the three-dots menu next to the domain.